Table of Contents:
Room Reservations
Work Orders
Borrowing Equipment & Learning and Research Technologies
Cash Prizes and Gift Cards
Movie License Policy
Large Event Policy
Guidelines for Outdoor Events
Amplified Sound
Political Events
Off-Campus Events


Dining Services
Cultural Food Exception
Food Vendor Requirements
Pre-Approved Food Vendors
Permitted Food Items
Sale of Food Items
Prepackaged Food
Non-Permitted Food Items

Room Reservations

In order to reserve a room for an event, student organizations should go to the virtual reservation system. In the event that the student organization needs further assistance, it is encouraged that students contact the Scheduling Office by phone x5077 or e-mail

When reserving a space for a function, be sure to check the college calendar and the LAFSync calendar to see what events or activities are already scheduled, i.e., lectures, athletic events, concerts, etc. to avoid conflicts with your event (the Scheduling Office can also let you know of reservations that have been made previously that conflict with the time of your event).

When requesting a room, please remember to include the following information:

  • First and last name
  • Campus phone number
  • Email address
  • Department/student group sponsoring the event
  • Event description
  • Approximate number of guests
  • Room preference
  • Beginning and ending times of your event
  • Your account number (If unknown, account numbers can be obtained from the Student Leadership and Involvement)

Work Orders

If your event requires set up materials/equipment (staging, tables, chairs, podiums, movie screens, etc.) that is not currently in the room where you are hosting the event, then you will need to do a Plant Operations work order. Plant Operations requires a work order for their services AT LEAST 10 days prior to an event. When submitting for a budget request to student government, remember to budget for potential Plant Operations costs that your event may incur.

To receive help with a work order or room setup—please contact Student Leadership and Involvement at x5337 well in advance of your program or a minimum of two weeks prior to your program or event to assist you. Plant Operations can provide most equipment needed to produce an event. There is a charge for rental of this equipment (tables and chairs are rented from an outside vendor), and there is an additional charge for delivery if Plant Operations is involved.  Depending on the magnitude and time of an event, you may be required to have a custodian and/or an electrician on duty at an additional cost.*
* Fees for on-duty custodians are only incurred if all or part of your event occurs at times when there are not regular custodians scheduled. Charges will be incurred for additional Plant Staff  (i.e. electricians) required for the event regardless of time.

Plant Operations does not have audio-visual, sound or lighting equipment. Sound equipment is available through Student Leadership and Involvement, and can be reserved using the Campus Life Equipment Loan Form within LafSync. Sound or lighting equipment must be rented from an outside vendor if what’s available does not meet your requirements. Laptops may be reserved through Learning and Research Technologies and projectors can be reserved through the Reservation Office.


The College requires that a contract is issued when an organization plans to hire a non-Lafayette group, individual, organization or company to provide any service where a fee is involved. Most entertainers or speakers are represented by an agency who will issue a contract. If not, the College is responsible for issuing the contract.

Contract Process Highlights:
Decide whether the service requires a contract.

Unsure? Consult Student Leadership and Involvement staff.

At least 4 weeks prior:

-Submit contract to Student Leadership and Involvement for review.

-Send contract and W-9 form to vendor.

At least 2 weeks prior:

-Return contract and W-9 to Student Leadership and Involvement.

-Submit check requests (checks are cut on Fridays, and can be picked up at the Controller’s Office) .

Contracts must include a social security number if payment is made to an individual, or a federal ID number if payment is made to a company. This is required by the IRS. A W-9 form must be on file prior to the issuing of a check by the college. This form needs to be completed by the agency or person providing the service.  Contracts are an important way for you to protect yourself and your organization from possible liability associated with events or programs.

All contracts require approval. The Vice President of Student Affairs or the Director of Student Leadership and Involvement are authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the College. Students are NOT authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the College.

Borrowing Equipment & Learning and Research Technologies

Learning and Research Technologies supports the effective use of technology for teaching and learning. Learning and Research Technologies staff help design, install, and maintain the College’s smart classrooms, offer workshops for faculty and students on various technologies and equipment, and provide one-on-one assistance upon request. IT also staffs a multimedia laboratory (located in Skillman) equipped with the tools needed for a variety of web, video, and other multimedia projects.

Equipment is available for loan to current faculty, students, and staff of Lafayette College for academic purposes. A limited number of portable projectors are available through the Scheduling Office. To see what technology is available for loan, visit the ITS website at The standard loan period for all equipment is 48 hours. If an item is returned late, fines will be added to the patron’s library account. Students are responsible for the equipment while it is checked out to them and in their possession. If an item is damaged or stolen, the student will be liable for the current replacement costs plus fees.

Portable sound equipment, iPads, and ID scanners are also available to rent from Campus Life. This equipment is free of charge to rent, and is to be used exclusively for your organization’s programming. Students are responsible for pick up and drop off, and any damage that occurs to this equipment. Equipment must be reserved at least 7 days before an event, and is reserved on a first-come, first served basis. To reserve equipment, please fill the Campus Life Equipment Loan Form on LafSync.

Cash Prizes and Gift Cards

In compliance with IRS regulations, Lafayette College’s policy concerning the tax treatment and reporting of cash prizes and gift cards is outlined below. The term “Cash Prizes and Gift Cards” also refers to cash equivalent prizes including items such as books, clothing, or tickets to events. All specific gift cards (restaurants, iTunes, Barnes & Noble, etc.) will be taxed if the card is worth $25 or greater. Any amount less than $25 is not subject to tax.

When giving a prize, be sure to collect the following information from the winning student:

  • First and Last name of recipient
  • L #
  • If they are, or have ever been, a college employee
  • The dollar amount of the prize/award to be paid and/or the value of the gift card or non-cash item provided
  • Any special arrangements or information concerning the delivery of either the Payroll Check or Accounts Payable Check to the recipient

All of this information, along with the receipts for any prizes purchased, should be given to Kelly Deemer in Student Leadership and Involvement.

Movie License Policy

While showing movies is a popular program for student organizations, it is important that student organizations abide by “public performance” laws to ensure they are not infringing upon filmmakers’ copyrights. Renting a movie without public distribution licensing or bringing in a personal copy to show your membership or the general public is ILLEGAL and subjects the student organization and possibly Lafayette to fines.

The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17, United States code, Public Law 94-553, 90 Stat. 2541) governs how copyrighted materials, such as movies, may be utilized publicly. Neither the rental, purchase, lending or download of a movie carries with it the right to exhibit it publicly outside the home, unless the screening is properly licensed. This legal copyright compliance requirement applies to colleges, universities, public schools, public libraries, daycare facilities, parks, recreation departments, summer camps, churches, private clubs, prisons, lodges, businesses, etc. regardless of whether admission is charged, whether the institution is commercial or non-profit or whether a federal, state or local agency is involved. The movie studios who own copyrights, and their agents, are the only parties who are authorized to license sites such as colleges and universities. No other group or person has the right to exhibit or license exhibitions of copyrighted movies. Furthermore, copyrighted movies borrowed from other sources such as public libraries, colleges, personal collections, etc. cannot be used legally for showings in colleges or universities or in any other site which is not properly licensed.

Under the “Education Exemption,” copyrighted movies may be exhibited in a college without a license only if the movie exhibition is:

  • An “integral part of a class session” and is of “material assistance to the teaching content.”
    • Supervised by a teacher in a classroom.
    • Attended only by students enrolled in a registered class of an accredited nonprofit educational institution.
    • Lawfully made using a movie that has been legally produced and obtained through rental or purchase.

Large Event Policy

Large events are defined as student organization programs that are more complex, with multiple layers of variables regarding planning, facility use and attendance. Factors that should be considered to ensure that large event policies are implemented correctly include:

  • Type of event (concert, dance, etc.)
  • Location, time and event setup
  • Number of attendees
  • Open or closed event to the non-college community

Depending on the scope of the event, the following policies may apply:

  • Guest Policy Lafayette College students are responsible for the behavior and actions of their guests. This responsibility extends to the areas immediately surrounding the event location, both during and after the event. All hosts must register their guests in advance. Guests and hosts must arrive at the event together, present valid ID for admittance, and depart the event together. All guest names are recorded along with the names of Lafayette College hosts.
  • Security Policy Student Leadership and Involvement, in consultation with College Public Safety, determine security needs for large events. Student organizations are responsible for the cost of police and other staff required for security when hosting a large event. Wristbands or another tracking system may be required.

The College reserves the right to end events that receive complaints. If complaints are received, the Office of Public Safety will respond and determine if ending the event is warranted. Event organizers are expected to cooperate with the responding officers and to assist as needed. Following any large event, the event organizers are required to make certain the area is cleaned and all trash is removed by no later than 9am the following day. Failure to clean the area will result in additional charges to the organization.

Guidelines for Outdoor Events

Student organizations are permitted to hold outdoor events on campus; these events are subject to the same policies and guidelines as all other campus events. Student organizations looking to plan an outdoor event must schedule a meeting with a professional staff member in Student Leadership and Involvement to discuss event details and any restrictions there may be.  Glass is not permitted on outdoor venues.

Outdoor social events are routinely limited to the following areas on campus:

  • Easton Hall Quad (Behind Marquis)
  • Quad
  • March Field
  • South College Lawn
  • Anderson Courtyard

Other campus locations may be used, with approval from Student Leadership and Involvement.

Amplified Sound

To minimize the disruption of academic and administrative activities, music, amplified sound, or other loud noise is permitted generally only between noon and 1:00 p.m. and after 5:00 p.m. on weekdays and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. on weekends. Even during approved hours, all noise should be kept at a reasonable level and College officials may require event organizers to change the volume to a specific lower level, or turn off the amplifiers altogether if complaints have been received.  Student organizations should consult Student Leadership and Involvement and the Office of Public Safety any time there are plans to have amplified sound at an outdoor event.  Additionally, outdoor events are subject to City of Easton noise ordinances.

Political Events

If a student organization wishes to bring a political speaker to campus or host political events or discussions, the following guidelines should be followed:

  • An announcement should be made at the beginning of the program reiterating that the College does not endorse nor support any particular party or candidate.
  • It is fine to allow campus facilities to be used by students for a political discussion/speaker as long as those facilities are available to other parties on an equal basis.
  • Campaign posters should NOT be hung on College property (advertising the speaker is OK) and no fundraising should occur.

Off-Campus Events

Occasionally, registered student organizations will sponsor events at an off-campus facility. Student organizations are not encouraged to host off-campus events because it limits the opportunity for students to participate. However, should your organization plan such an event, it is essential that you meet with a professional staff member in Student Leadership and Involvement and keep them involved in your planning process from the beginning.  Venues for College events held off-campus may request that a Certificate of Insurance be issued to the venue. The organizer of the event can obtain the certificate by emailing the following information to the Treasurer’s Office at least seven (7) days prior to the event.

  • Name of Organization to receive the Certificate
  • Mailing address, fax number, and email (if applicable) of Certificate recipient
  • Indication of whether the Certificate holder should be named as Additional Insured
  • Brief description and date(s) of event

Issues to keep in mind when planning off campus events:

  • Liability
  • Negotiation of contracts (with the facility’s management)
  • Financial management (off-campus facilities can be quite costly)
  • Security

Food and (non-alcoholic) Beverage Policies

Food purchases should be approved in advance by your organization’s advisor or a professional staff member in Student Leadership and Involvement.

 Dining Service

The food and non-alcoholic beverages served at events on-campus must be arranged through the College’s Dining Services’ Catering Department no less than seven (7) calendar days in advance of the event. For ethnically authentic or not-readily-available ingredients, at least fourteen (14) calendar days’ advance notice is requested.  Budgetary constraints will determine the range of options that can be offered.

Information regarding Dining Services’ catering services and an online ordering system are available at If further assistance is required, please contact the Catering Office at (610) 330-5853.

Bon Appetit is Lafayette’s exclusive Food Services provider and is contractually obligated to provide all Food Services on the College’s Campus.  Lafayette Dining Services offers a full range of Food Services, from fully-staffed formal events to quick and easy pick-up service for smaller events.  Lafayette Dining Services prepares food from scratch using fresh ingredients in a socially responsible manner for the well-being of our guests, communities, and the environment.

The specific events listed below are exempt from the exclusivity requirement of this policy to use Lafayette Dining Services when they are held outside of the College’s dining facilities. However, all remaining requirements of this Policy apply to the events listed below and all individuals that prepare food for one of these events must review and adhere to the food safety information available at

  • The annual International Student’s Association Extravaganza event.
  • Cultural events where food is a focus and Lafayette Dinning Services cannot provide the necessary food.
  • Events where Food Services are limited to pizza and soft drinks.
  • Events held at non-College owned facilities or locations.
  • Small events with a cost of $100 or less.
  • Timely requested catering events that Lafayette Dining Services is unable to fulfill.

Cultural Food Exception

If an event is cultural in nature or requires specially prepared food that cannot be provided by Lafayette Dining Services, a waiver may be granted for a Student Organization to use a Pre-Approved Food Vendor.

Organizations desiring to use a Pre-Approved Vendor to provide cultural food can submit a request for cultural food exception at least 7 – 14 days in advanced of the event. The requested food must be cultural in nature and cannot be prepared by Dining Services in a manner that is acceptable for the authenticity of the event. A request for cultural food exception must be submitted via form. Submitting a waiver does not guarantee approval; Dining Services has the right to deny the request.

Food Vendor Requirements

All vendors that provide Food Services under this Policy must adhere to the following requirements:

  • If beverages are included in the Food Services provided on the College’s Campus they must be Coca-Cola products.
  • Hold a current Bureau of Health, Food Facility License issued by the City of Easton (or comparable license from the vendor’s municipality).
  • Hold general liability insurance with a single limit of no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence and name Lafayette College as an additional insured.
  • Provide the College with a completed IRS Form W-9 to certify their taxpayer identification number.
  • Must not be owned, in whole or in part, by a family member or other close relative of the College employee or student making such catering arrangements or directing them to be made in order to avoid a potential conflict of interest.

Pre-Approved Food Vendors

The pre-approved food service vendors listed on the attached schedule maintain the necessary documentation on file with the College’s Office of Finance and Business Services.  Vendors can request to be included on the College’s Schedule of Pre-Approved Vendors by completing the Food Vendor Application and submitting the required items noted within the Application.

If a vendor is not included on the College’s Schedule of Pre-Approved Vendors, the department requesting the Food Services is responsible for providing the necessary documentation to verify that the Food Vendor Requirements of this policy are met by the vendor at the time of payment authorization or request for reimbursement.

List of Pre-Approved Vendors 

  • Please contact Student Leadership and Involvement at x5337 for the most up-to-date list of approved vendors  

Permitted Food Items


Student must use Lafayette Dining Services or another approved caterer or vendor (food must be purchased AND prepared by them).

Sale of Food Items

Candy sales – Fundraisers that include candy (i.e. Candy-Grams) are acceptable provided that all candy is prepackaged and individually wrapped. Unacceptable candy includes items such as M&M’s that are opened and sorted or any type of bulk candy that is not individually packaged.

Bake Sales Student Organizations who wish to hold a bake sale in student center space can reserve a table with Student Leadership and Involvement and should abide by the Fundraising policies. Only homemade baked goods (items that do not have to be temperature controlled) may be sold at tables reserved for bake sales. No other foods are permitted.

Prepackaged Food

Pre-packaged items may be provided by the student organization. This usually includes party size snacks (i.e. large bag of chips, cookies, pretzels, etc.). Pre-packaged items requiring temperature control (heating or cooling) are not permitted.  All cold beverages must be Coca Cola.

Non-Permitted Food Items

Potluck meals are not permitted due to potential risks related to transporting items that require temperature control (heating or cooling) and unsanitary food preparation conditions.

Homemade Food
Homemade foods are not allowed to be served at meetings or student organization events because they pose a risk to the health safety of the community.  Homemade foods/foods that have to be prepared (i.e., food that needs to be temperature controlled; sandwich fixings that are not from approved on-campus caterers) are not permitted at any programs, events, lectures, or meetings.  Bake Sales are the only instance during which the use of homemade food items is permitted and are subject to specific guidelines and procedures.