Table of Contents:
Budget Allocation Guidelines
Additional Sources of Funding
Financial Transactions
Checking Your Account Balance
Account Number
Depositing Money
Check Vouchers
Reimbursement Policy
Accepting Donations
Charitable Donations Policy
Games of Chance


One of the many benefits of becoming an officially recognized Lafayette College student organization is the opportunity to receive funding from Student Government.

Budget Allocation Guidelines

  • To request funds for an event, organizations should submit a budget request to Student Government via the LafSync Treasury tool on your organization’s portal. Organizations should conform as closely as possible to their submitted budget. For more information on how to submit a budget request via LafSync, visit the Student Government website.
  • Organization treasurers must maintain an accurate record of his/her organization’s financial transactions and must be able to make this information available upon request.
  • Any budget changes must be submitted to Student Government for approval; organizations’ that receive funding for a particular type of event (speaker, film, etc.) may only substitute a similar type of program if changes are made.
  • Any funding that is left over because an event did not occur or expenses were less than anticipated may not be used for a future event or activity without prior permission by Student Government. Rolling over funds to another event without prior permission may result in non-reimbursement of the items purchased with those funds.
  • No organization may exceed the maximum account they have been allocated by Student Government unless they are using funds from a reserve account.
  • All unused allocated funds will be taken back at the end of the semester and reallocated the following semester. Overhead funds will carry over from the fall semester to the spring semester, and be taken back at the end of the academic year.

Additional Sources of Funding

Besides your organization’s Student Government allocation, there may be other funding options available to aid your organization and its functions. Effective fundraising campaigns and co-sponsoring with another organization or college department are two possible opportunities to acquire additional funds. For more information about additional funding sources, please schedule an appointment with a professional staff member in Student Leadership and Involvement.

Financial Transactions

All Student Government funded student organization accounts are held at Student Leadership and Involvement. Funds allocated by the Student Government budget committee are transferred into your organization’s account. Checks, deposits and transfers are processed for your organization by submitting the appropriate forms and supporting documentation to Student Leadership and Involvement for each transaction.

An understanding of the accounts your organization may have and the way funds are processed is necessary to complete transactions for your organization. However, not all student organizations have account numbers; newly recognized organizations are only assigned account numbers after their first request for funds from Student Government.

Checking Your Account Balance

Student organizations can check their account balance via their LafSync Treasury tool on their organization’s portal. Organizations can also access this information by consulting the Student Leadership and Involvement office for an updated account balance.

Account Number:

All organization accounts have an account number that looks like 929501 31900 710xxx 74; the 710xxx is what specifies your individual organization. Please contact Student Leadership and Involvement or your organization advisor for your organization account number. Your organization’s treasurer should keep track of this account information.

Multiple Accounts:

Some organizations may have multiple accounts. Any additional accounts your organization have are specific to particular funding sources other than Student Government.  These accounts may have funds from donations or fundraising.

Depositing Money

Students may not keep money in their rooms from any club fundraisers, dues, travel, etc. Money must be deposited daily to lessen the risk of theft or loss. Organizations may deposit funds into their account through Student Leadership and Involvement in Farinon College Center Rm 107 between 9am–5pm Monday through Friday with Kelly Deemer.

 Check Vouchers

A check voucher is used to request a check from the Controller’s Office for payment of goods or services—such as an entertainer or transportation. Proper documentation must be provided, such as original invoice or copy of the contract. A W-9 must be attached to the contract before a person or vendor is paid.

If you decide to use a contractual agreement for your event, a contract will need to be processed by a professional staff member in Student Leadership and Involvement three weeks prior to the event in order to have a check ready for pick-up at the Controller’s Office before the show. It is extremely important that payments to individuals or groups who perform a service, give a lecture, or entertain, be made at the conclusion of the program.  Visit Student Leadership and Involvement between 9am-5pm Monday through Friday to process the check voucher.


Purchasing Items with a Purchase Order
The preferred way to purchase items for an organization’s event is with a Purchase Order. Purchase orders are used to buy items to support an event (i.e. decorations, etc.). When purchasing items totaling less than $500 an approved limited purchase order may be taken to the vendor or mailed following a telephone quote. Most vendors in the area will accept a College purchase order. Purchases totaling over $500 require approval from both the designated College administrator and the College Purchasing Office. Organizations may suggest vendors they would like to use. However, because of the large volume of business the college does, it may be advantageous to allow the Purchasing Office to negotiate a price with one of the College’s regular vendors. Purchase Orders can be picked up in Student Leadership and Involvement.

Purchasing Items Without a Purchase Order
The college has a credit card for purchases when the vendor will not accept a purchase order, so there is no reason for a student to use his or her personal credit card. Visit Student Leadership and Involvement to complete the necessary form for requested credit card order information. The credit card number cannot be given out.

 Reimbursement Policy

Lafayette College is a non-profit organization and, in order to make tax-free purchases, the College must make the payment directly to the vendor. All student clubs and organizations must have the pre-approval of an administrator to make a purchase, and it is preferred that any club expense from an off-campus vendor/business be paid with a Purchase Order. You can obtain a Purchase Order from Student Leadership and Involvement in Farinon College Center Rm 115 between 9am – 5pm Monday through Friday.

If a Purchase Order is not accepted, you can make arrangements with a professional staff member in Student Leadership and Involvement to use a college credit card to purchase your items. Students should not use their own money or credit cards to purchase items for an organization or to pay a speaker or vendor, and will not be reimbursed if they do so.

Be advised, whether you are using a College Purchase Order, or providing receipts/proof of payment for reimbursement when a Purchase Order is not accepted, there are some expenses that will not be reimbursed.

Examples of non-reimbursable expenses:

  • Sales tax
  • Outside vendors for on-campus events that are not College approved vendors
  • Restaurant tips over 20%
  • Travel expenses that are not necessary or related to the purpose of the travel such as: room movies, entertainment, snacks beyond meals, personal care items, traffic violation fines, etc.
  • Flowers or gift items for members beyond end-of-year service or leadership recognition plaques, etc.

Examples of reimbursable expense:

  • Travel Expenses, such as hotels and meals.
  • Gas and Tolls (Only if a club rents vehicle from Enterprise, not personal vehicles)
  • For items purchased when traveling, complete the Travel Reimbursement Form before coming to Student Leadership and Involvement.

To be reimbursed for expenses, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Student name and L# to be reimbursed
  • Name of the event the receipts are for and a description of purchases
  • Name of student organization


Below are examples of items that may be used to raise funds for your organization. Please note that the College reserves the right to review and approve all items.

  • Items for sale that have been produced by the organization (e.g., baskets, candy grams)
  • Cash donations
  • Items for sale that are directly related to the student organization’s mission or goals (e.g., plants sold by the Horticulture Club)
  • Items that promote school spirit (e.g., t-shirts, buttons) but do not conflict with College trademark policies
  • Pre-packaged items (e.g., candy, gum)


The specific campus locations listed below have established additional criteria for fundraising activities. All of these areas require the approval by Student Leadership and Involvement, unless otherwise noted:

  • Farinon College Center: approval by Student Leadership and Involvement
  • Residence Halls: approval by the Office of Residence Life
  • Dining Areas: approval by the specific dining hall/location manager
  • Recreation Facilities: approval by the Department of Recreation Services
  • Permission from Student Leadership and Involvement in conjunction with the appropriate building coordinator should be contacted for all other campus buildings not specified in this list

Accepting Donations

Student organizations may accept cash donations to be deposited by Student Leadership and Involvement. College department donations made to student organizations should be spent out of the respective departmental account and therefore money should not be transferred from a College department into the student organization fundraising account.

Charitable Donation Policy

In limited circumstances, registered student organizations may use proceeds from approved fundraising events to make donations to non-profit charitable organizations. Fundraising events are subject to approval by Student Leadership and Involvement. Beneficiaries of such events must be recognized 501(c)(3) charitable tax exempt organizations. A tax-exempt fiscal sponsor of a proposed beneficiary is insufficient to satisfy this requirement. Student Leadership and Involvement may require a tax ID number and tax-exempt certification documenting the beneficiary organizations 501(c)(3) status prior to approval. Donation checks must be made payable to the approved beneficiary, and a letter, issued on official letterhead, confirming receipt of the funds by the beneficiary is required for all donations.

Proceeds from fundraising events may only be used for lawful purposes. Under no circumstances may Student Government allocations be used to fund donations. Charitable donations to individual persons are strictly prohibited.

IRS 501(c)(3) Contributor Information:

Games of Chance

The Pennsylvania Local Option Small Games of Chance Act allows certain nonprofit organizations to conduct small games of chance for the purpose of raising funds for the promotion of charitable or civic purposes. Only four games of chance are allowed to be conducted by an organization licensed under the Act. They are:

  • Punchboards
  • Pull-Tabs
  • Raffles
  • Daily Drawings

To apply for a small games license for your organization, contact the Northampton County Treasurers Office at 610-559-3102. Poker tournaments for charity are considered “unlawful gambling” and are NOT included under the allowable “Small Games of Chance Act.” For more information about gaming and fundraising policies, contact Student Leadership and Involvement.